The Importance of Father Presence
How important is it for a father to be present in a child’s life?
So how important are fathers in their children’s lives? The short and easy answer is “very.” Children who have loving, caring, and engaged fathers have been shown:
- to have better educational outcomes, their IQs are typically higher,
- to have better cognitive and linguistic abilities,
- through studies, are more confident and emotionally secure,
- as kids are less likely to get into trouble
- to be more likely to have positive social interactions with their peers.
But that is not all. Children with affectionate fathers are oftentimes more likely to:
- have higher self-esteem
- avoid disruptive behavior
- say “no” to drug use
So, the presence and active engagement of a father can be a powerful force in a child’s life.
Yet, even fathers who want to play a part in their child’s life can face legal hurdles. This is why it may be necessary to seek the assistance of a family law attorney who can help fight to secure fathers’ rights. By taking legal action, a dad may be able to establish paternity, acquire visitation rights, and perhaps even address any custody issues that may arise.
Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, “The Importance of Fathers in the Healthy Development of Children,” Jeffrey Rosenberg and W. Bradford Wilcox, accessed on Oct. 2, 2015